This morning the mare, Olympia, who had been dumped at Shiloh was three legged lame. She had shown some hind leg lameness last night, but by this morning, she was not bearing any weight on her one hind leg, would not take a step, and was baring her teeth with pain. She acted like some of the other horses we have at Shiloh with fractured pelvis type problems. We think she was heavily buted before being dumped, the last few days she more or less stood in one place and took little short steps with her hind legs.
When we insisted the Brand Inspector come out last Monday, I would not allow him to sign the horse over to us. We wanted to make someone be responsible and try to go after the person who did this. Of course, they wanted to sign her over to Shiloh and then it would all be out of their hands, but we said no. I told him to take pictures and gave him all the info on the man who brought her. That we would hold her until they decided what they would do about the situation.
This morning, after evaluating Olympia, I called the Animal Control and told them the horse was in severe pain and would, at the least, need to go into the vet clinic, and possibly would need to be euthanised. I said, that since she was not our horse, that they are responsible to get this done. They said they would pick the horse up, hold her for three days, maybe adopt her out, and if not then destroy her. I said NO, she needed to go into the vet TODAY to be checked, that her pain was so bad that she could not stand for three days. They decided that they could pick her up today and bring her into Desert Pines. We also called the vet and told them our experience with the horse, they agreed with our decision.
We have her as much medication as we could to try to get her comfortable. We had to do this to make Animal Control be responsible, they will have to pay the vet bill, not Shiloh. Maybe if they have to actually pay a large enough vet bill they might actually do something about her owner.
Shiloh will take the horse in if she is evaluated by the vet, if they feel that she can be rehabbed. If she does have some major medical issue, and is in pain, and the vet feels that she needs to euthanised, then it will be done in the clinic.
This was an emotionally difficult decision for all of us to make, but it was the right one. I will update her story when I hear from the vet.