Monday, October 19, 2009

Odds and Ends

I just wanted to remind you all about our November 1 clinic with Joe Weitekamp at Shiloh.

As well as our Shiloh Halloween Celebration!

We were able to order five new red pasture shelters- one for Little Vacation Village, one to be shared between the two Duplexes, one to be shared with the Blind Girls and the Annex Pen, and two for our new pasture that we are going to be using. As our population continues to age, we have more and more elderly horses who need extra daily feed to maintain their health. Our new pasture will become home to some of these guys. The shelters should be installed by the end of the month and we are all very excited! We can finally take down some of our handmade ramshackle shelters...

Sally, Tony and I attended a Dinner party last night for the Old Timers of Las Vegas, those who built our city. At one point, Nevada Governor Gibbons stopped by our table to say hi to Tony and someone mentioned to him that I run a horse rescue in our state. He immediately assumed that I rescue Mustangs and jokingly asked if I could do something for the "60,000 horses who have no homes in NV". I politely corrected him and stated it is more like 30,000 formerly wild Mustangs who are being held in government facilities. He then proceeded to tell me that "he sees tons of ribby and starving Mustangs when he goes out hunting in Northern Nevada" and that they are being squeezed into smaller and smaller areas to which I replied that the majority of wild NV Mustangs are actually at healthy weights- the ones that are thin are the ones who are having their natural range and watering holes fenced in by the special interest Ranchers for their cattle grazing. I said that the BLM management of the Mustangs is an embarrassment to our great state and that horse welfare advocates will continue to do what we can to improve the lives of horses in our state. To which he mumbled something and turned back to Tony. I really think he thought I was going to be a Ding Dong and that his great cowboy charm would shut this Little Lady up. I guess he found out differently.... I felt good all night after that!



8 comments:

shilohsally said...

I am proud of you Jilly. No "Ding Dongs" at Shiloh. We all need to write our governor a letter and educate him! The mustangs need our help.

Mikey said...

Good for you! Glad you set him straight. Sally is right, we do need to educate our elected officials. I'm so glad you got the chance to tell him in person. Hat's off to you girl!

Robin said...

Good for you, Jill! It's time SOMEBODY set him straight. Who better than you?

Elaine said...

OH, I LOVE IT, You are no Ding Dong or shrinking violet. You go girl. I just love the way you are. Say it like it is. Gibbons is a complete idiot and a total embarrassment.

Jenny K. said...

I'm glad you had the knowledge, intelligence and courage to speak up for the wild mustangs! Great job, Jill!

Beanie Mouse said...

Ping PONG!! Good for you, Jill!!

the 4 D's said...

You go Jill ...Our officials are the Ding Dongs

Eric's Mom said...

That's the way to do it Jill!
Hat's off to you, indeed.