Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Traveler Explores The Tiber River

Up early again. I tried to tell the Girls that Rome wasn't built in a day, but they didn't listen...

First stop, the Boca Della Verita, The Mouth of Truth. Before I knew what it was, Sally told me she had put a piece of candy in the mouth and told me to look for it. "Where is it sally, I can't see anything in here..."

Then, I realized what she was doing...


It was only later, that I learned that the mouth is supposed to bite off the hand of someone who is lying. It didn't bite me but I couldn't watch when Sally put her hand inside...

This is inside of the Church, Santa Maria in Cosmedin, built in the 6th Century. It is a more simply decorated church and so far my favorite...

We walked along the Tiber River. Legend says that it was named after a king named Tiberinous Silvinus who drowned in the river. Tiber Island is a small island that was historically significant to the founding of Rome. The island provided safety to travelers on the old salt roads and created a safer place to cross the river.
This is the remains of an ancient bridge, the Ponte Rotto which was built in the 2nd Century B.C . All that remains is this one section in the middle of the river. It's name simply means Broken Bridge.

You can still see the cobblestones up on top.

On the Tiber Island is this beautiful church of San Bartolomeo all'Isola. The church was built in the 10th Century. This is a statue of Saint Francis, who is the patron saint of animals. Both my girls wear a St. Francis medal around their necks to protect all of us at Shiloh.

The church was built on the site of a Temple from the year 293 B.C.

Here is the oldest bridge in Rome, the Ponte Fabricio. It was built in 62 B.C and has been in continous use ever since!

Later on we visited Piazza Navona. Here is Bernini's Fountain, the Fontana Dei Quattro Fiumi, the Fountain of the Four Rivers. It's beautiful and one of my favorites.

I like the Dove up on top of the Egyption obelisk.

Bernini portrayed four major rivers, the Nile, the Ghangis, the Plate, and the Danube. Here is the statue for the Nile, see how his face is covered? It's to show that the source of the Nile was still unknown.


What a exhausting, but fun, day. We walked miles and miles. And, it's not over yet...





No comments: