Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Back in Time...

How nice it would be to really be able to go back in time...

Yesterday I spent the day exploring Colonial Williamsburg. I have been there many times but on this trip I have no set schedule or time table. With no animals to care for for a few days, I get up when I wake up- not when my five dogs who usually sleep with me in bed decide it's time for me to get up. So, after a nice breakfast at a pancake house, off I went.

Strangely, but probably not surprisingly, the only photos I took all day were of horses and a colonial stable at the Governor's Palace!


A team of horses during their break. They have teams of draft crosses pulling carriages for tourists. The horses all look in excellent shape, good feet, well cared for. (Sorry, that is the horse rescuer in me!)


18th Century stables. I have always loved the curving shapes of old stalls- my dream barn would have stalls like this (but bigger). I believe these were actually called "boxes". Working horses were tied up at the manger...


Beautiful wood, brick floor...


Here are where the manager's quarters back by the tack rooms. These look good to me!


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments: