Saturday, April 24, 2010

Gentry's Great Strides...

Gentry has come so far. When he first arrived he was very stressed and had some behavioral issues under saddle. But, Elisa has been taking her time and starting him all over without pushing him. And now he is working quietly and moving forward under saddle. He obviously must have hated his former life and job and is now beginning to realize that he can enjoy a new life...

We are all so proud of Gentry! This really is a very special horse who will make someone an interesting and loyal horse.

To think someone hated this horse so much that they marked his feedlot paperwork as "For Slaughter Only". Very sad. I still remember seeing him on the Fallon feedlot, I walked by him three times but something about him kept drawing me back. Our contact told me that I "wouldn't want him"- but something inside of me told me I did. I knew that even if he had to remain at Shiloh for his life, that I could not leave him, that I would regret it and he would haunt me. We made a very wise decision in saving this guy, his willingness, intelligence and playful spirit have more than proven themselves.


Great Job, Gentry and Elisa!



2 comments:

KellyByrd said...

I LOVE spending time with Gentry! He walks up to me at the fence so sweetly- and he likes to take small bites of treats. He isn't all about the cookies, either! He is just as happy to stand there and be petted as he is to get a snack. When he leans in for a pet, and when you reach his favorite spots, his eyes half close and he just enjoys his moment of spoiling! Still can't believe what was on his paperwork- I hope one day the person who resigned him to a terrible fate learns of his amazing strides at Shiloh with Jill, Sally, and Elisa- and realizes what a terrible mistake they had made. Such a love- so glad you found him irresistable at the feedlot!

Anonymous said...

hey guys, I've been following the blog for a long time and can I just say I am totally inspired every day by what you guys do. Gentry is my favourite horse. I mean, I love all of them, but Gentry just pulls at me. I will be forever grateful you guys pulled him from the market and are giving him a 2nd chance. I would LOVE to adopt him, which is sort of impossible as I am in Australia :D What do you guys think, would he like to come live amoung the gumtrees? Please post more photos and vids, so I can enjoy him before some lucky person gets to take him home :)