Tuesday, January 29, 2008
Tuesday- Hold a thought for sweet Boston
UPDATE: 5:30pm Boston is still holding on, vitals are actually looking pretty good, but has not passed anything. He is not very painful at this time, we have decided to put him on IV fluids throughout the night. We are still praying that he will pass something and soon. Shiloh Volunteer, Cheri is spending some time with Boston this evening, as she lives close to the clinic. She is walking him and keeping him company. Thank you Cheri.
Today started out as a beautiful day, the sun was out and the air was clear. We were looking forward to getting out to Shiloh and getting alot done. But, then we got the call. Leo called to say that Boston was starting to colic. Dreaded and scary words to any horse lover.
We rushed to Shiloh. By the time we arrived, Boston was starting to try to roll. After checking him, we gave him a dose of Banamine and loaded him up. We met Dr. Little in town. He checked him over, oiled him with the stomach tube, and did a rectal exam. He could feel a large amount of gas and either and impaction or a displacement in his Colon. We decided the best thing for Boston, was to have him taken into the clinic where he could be watched very closely and decisions could be made without having to wait for anything to progress to where he started to suffer.
As of 3pm, his condition had not improved, but it had not worsened yet. He was oiled again, a belly tap was done (which was normal,)we are just praying that something starts to move. If it doesn't in the next few hours, we will have to decide what is best for Boston. We DO NOT want him to suffer.
Boston was rescued from slaughter about 3 1/2 years ago, he is sweet and gentle. An older horse who was thrown away after his arthritis had progressed. Boston is a special and personal favorite of Jill. We are all just very upset, especially because he is not currently at Shiloh...
This will be updated when we hear back from the vet in a few hours.