Thursday, June 3, 2010

Young Animal Lovers!

Last week, I received a manila envelope stuffed full of drawings from a class at Port St. Joe Elementary School in Port St. Joe, Florida. Their teacher, Traci, had been teaching the students about animal and horse rescue and about Volunteerism to help out animals in need. She used Shiloh as an example of a horse rescue, a place where horses can go to be cared for and helped. After learning their lessons, the children drew the following drawings for the Shiloh Horses and for all of our hard working volunteers!

These are so wonderful, I just love them and I know you will too. This is only a few of the many that I was sent- they are all beautiful works of art and we can't thank the students enough!
















This brings to mind a ridiculous phone call I received a few months ago from an "Animal Liberation" person (her words, not mine). I was informed that animals should never be used as "props" to teach children, all animals should just be able to live their lives doing anything they want to do. While I do agree that animals should have way more rights than they do, I absolutely do not agree that animals cannot be used to teach children about kindness, respect and compassion. I know that sometimes animals are the only beings that can teach someone these important lesson. Because we treat all of the Shiloh animals with respect, children can, and do learn how to treat them the same way.

I think that these beautiful pieces of thoughtful artwork from these young students demonstrates that very thing more perfectly than I ever could.


5 comments:

the 4 D's said...

these KIDs are wonderful WOW for a man to get a tear in his eye and a lump in my throat WOW

helga said...

This is wonderful :))Yes, we have a lot to learn from animals in many ways. It is sad that some kids never have a chance to be around animals. It is therapy for young and old, and it is proven. Between jobs after I retired as an athlete (to make ends meet) I started to work as a “pet nanny”. Spending time with dogs and cats helped me to get back into my songwriting and music. Always after being around animals I become more peaceful and creative.

Beanie Mouse said...

Yay to teaching kids about animal rescue!!!!! What fabulous pictures!!

Cheryl Ann said...

The drawings are beautiful. Isn't it wonderful to share your love of horses with kids? I have several who want to come see my herd! Their enthusiasm will continue and these kids will someday help horses, too!

the 4 D's said...

OMGOSH, I am in tears. What a wonderful lesson that teacher taught. And all of the drawings... I looked at them each one by one. This was a great way to start my day. Thank You Shiloh for ALL that you do!
Deonna