Saturday, May 8, 2010

Traveler on the Natchez Trace

Well, the girls brought me along with them to a horse welfare conference in Tennessee. Or as Davy Crockett's song says, "the greenest state in the land of the free"...

We had some time, so I headed off to explore...


And found myself on the historic Natchez Trace! This trace (or trail) was an ancient Native American trail which connected the Mississippi River to the valley of the Tennessee River. It runs for 444 miles...


It's beautiful and seems so peaceful...


But it could be a dangerous place for travelers. I feel like I will see a person dressed in buckskins riding toward me at anytime!


But, there is something else here...


This is the spot where celebrated explorer, Meriwether Lewis ( of Lewis and Clark fame) died on October 11,1809 at the age of only 35...


He was spending the night at this house, called "Grinder's Stand", which was a place for weary travelers to spend the night as they traveled the trace. This is all that is left of the building where Lewis died. Many readers might be surprised to read that Lewis committed suicide by gunshot. Although he was a famed explorer and an American hero, Lewis suffered from bouts of melancholy or depression.


This is a replica of what Grinder's Stand may have looked like.


Meriwether Lewis is buried under this monument...


The broken column signifies a life cut short. A Latin inscription on the monument reads, "I died before my time, but thou O great and good Republic, live out my life as you live out yours."

Meriwether Lewis' story is just one of many on this long, long trail. If you ever travel on the trace, remember those who have traveled it before you.

I know I will...




No comments: