Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Tuesday and a Close Call

A beautiful warm day today...

I have to say that I had a VERY close call today. Sally and I were getting Starsky ready to load into the trailer and was brushing out his tail a bit as the guys hooked up. I was not paying attention like I should have been and my brush poked Starsky in a sensitive place- he immediately kicked out with both hind legs. I was stupidly standing directly behind him and he missed my temple area of my head by mere inches, I then turned away and he kicked out again, this time just narrowly missing the back of my head as I tried to get out of the way. One or two inches closer and I am sure I would have had massive head trauma. It was in no way Starsky's fault, he was acting like a horse- I was sloppy, in a hurry and not being careful enough. But, what a eye opener. It is very easy for me to get complacent around horses, I deal with so many of them daily, all different types and situations and have for the past 32 years. This was a good reminder to me, and hopefully to someone else, about how dangerous it really can be to work around and handle a 1,000 pound animal...

As I was saying, we were loading Starsky into the trailer- he was colicing again and we sent him into the clinic. This is his second time in two weeks, and he has been with us for only one month. It's the same thing again, a big impaction in his pelvic flexure area (a spot where the Colon makes a 180 degree turn in the abdomen). When he first arrived at Desert Pines, it was arranged to oil and water him three times today and overnight, but he suddenly began to be more painful and we made the decision to put him onto IV fluids, which is much more aggressive. His belly tap (where they check his abdominal fluid) was negative, a positive Belly Tap means that the bowels are compromised and possibly ruptured. The vets are concerned about a possible stone or foreign body. We will just have to wait now and hope he responds to the aggressive treatment. We are wondering if he has had this issue in the past and that is why he was dumped at the feedlot a month ago...

But, for now, on to photos from today:

Latte had her first ride today! Elisa has been working with her and Leo hopped on. Latte was wonderful, in fact, she was dozing off as she was being tacked up...

Pregnant ladies, Vertigo and Pippi Longstockings, enjoyed some exercise in the turn out. We are all watching and waiting for the foals to arrive!

Cute little Jack was moved into Little Vacation Village, he seemed very happy and interested in his new surroundings and friends...

Kerkorian in Little Vacation Village...

My young gelding, Fallon, was shod under City Center. Fallon was born at the Fallon Feedlot before his pregnant mother could be shipped to Shiloh. He is now 4 years old.

In the Barn, Eagle enjoyed his Equine Senior...

Sitka enjoyed her feed in the warm sun in her outside run...

Elisa also worked with Gentry. What a cutie!

5 comments:

the 4 D's said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
the 4 D's said...

this is a good reminder for all of us we need to remember to stay out of the danger zones. even if the horse is a mini or a full size.We are glad that you are ok jill

KellyByrd said...

Please look out for yourself, Jill! What a scare!!!! So sorry you had such a close call- but so glad it wasn't as bad as it could have been... Thank you for the reminder- that our babies are huge animals who could inadvertantly hurt us through no fault or desire of their own... Stay well!

Sharil said...

Jillie,

You have several Angels above watching over you!!! Be safe..

I love the new Mollie Mules...I have always wanted one!!! Awwww. I love those love long ears...

helga said...

Oh my goodness, I am glad you are ok Jill. I can imagine it is easy to forget and do the routine without always thinking since you have been doing this since forever. I am kind of new to it, and even I forget sometimes because I feel so comfortable and safe around the horses. But we never know when they get spooked :) This is a reminder for all of oss.