Sunday, March 16, 2008

Spoiling the Horses!

Like many visitors and volunteers to the rescue, Shiloh volunteer, Kelly (pictured below), never comes empty handed! All the horses know the sounds of the huge industrial sized carrot bags being hefted into wheelbarrows. New arrivals, who just a few days before, avoided contact and preferred to stay in the back of the corrals, learn very quickly to come up to the fence for a treat. We really notice a difference in some horses' attitudes after being visited by the carrot wagons.

Some people say feeding treats will spoil a horse and teach it bad manners, which can be true in some situations- but to some rescued, abused, and stressed horses, a carrot taken from a kind and gentle hand is the first step to their new futures. For some, it is the first treat they were ever given just because someone cared.

We say, bring on the wheelbarrows! (But watch out for the donkeys, and the Wanderer's, and Salsa, and Charlie, and...)

3 comments:

Mikey said...

Lol, I can only imagine the response to that. I love that you name your pens.
When I enter the "Shark Tank" as I call it, I get run over if I have grain or carrots or if I have anything. A pair of pliers can be downright fascinating, apparently. Along with earrings, hair ties and anything I'm wearing....
Equines are funny creatures. I would sooo love to meet Salsa, you could not have a better ambassador in that one!

KellyByrd said...

Hello All! Bringing carrots to the "kids" is the highlight of my week. Such unconditional love (or, perhaps, love that can be bought for the bottom dollar price of a carrot) is the BEST!!!! My three boys (dogs) sniff nonstop when we get home... don' think they've ever seen a burro, pig, llama, etc.! It's also a great bonding time for my husband and me. I have a new respect for him, the way he manages the burros, wanderers, Salsa, Charlie... We have a fabulous time. However, I now firmly believe that the camera adds 30lbs. You believe me, don't you??????!!!!!!! AAAHHHH!!!

Andrea said...

Sure I believe you. Besides, if you use UK sizing, they're smaller than US so that makes you about a size 8. See? You feel better already, don't you?!